[Air-l] Poll on annoying Internet neologisms

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 12:59:54 PDT 2007

This made me grin. I'd just like to point out the obvious here and say
that natural languages are often prescribed, too, given the power
relationships around education capital (newspapers, textbooks,
dictionaries, etc.).

My knowledge of how the French prescription system works is even less
than my knowledge of the language itself, but isn't it entirely possible
that the it is the prescription paradigm more than the natural evolution
of the language which led the youths in your anecdote to believe "cool"
was a French word? They were accustomed to the fact that spoken words
are canonical and thus "owned" by their culture heritage in some way. I
think that speakers of a natural language (who are cognizant of the fact
that the language is natural and evolves) would be used to fact that
words are "borrowed" and thus foreign, yet appropriated and utilized.
Don't you think?

-Conor