[Air-l] [AOIR 8.0] Vancouver Conference Update #3 (June 8, 2007) - Part 3

Richard Smith smith at sfu.ca
Tue Jun 12 00:20:24 PDT 2007

{part 3 of the June update on IR8 in Vancouver}

Items in this part:

   - Facebook group for IR8
   - Be a chair!

Facebook

Facebook continues to amaze me, and I hope some of you are enjoying it too.
We have about 69 members of the group already. Join us:
http://sfu.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2331171313.<http://sfu.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2331171313>There
is also a Facebook "Trips" application (several, in fact) where people
can share travel plans and so on. Check it out.

Chairs

No, we don't need help setting up the folding chairs before the sessions. We
have the covered, actually. This is better. I have heard from a number of
people who (tsk tsk) missed the submission deadline but still want to come.
Well, have I got a deal for you! We're recruiting folks who would like to
take part as session chairs. Send me your name, email, and areas of interest
and we'll fit you in. You'll be on the program as chairing a panel (which
might help with the expense form), and we'll get some interesting session
chairs. Here are the duties:

   - introduce the participants
   - keep everyone on time
   - manage the questions and (if necessary) "seed" the discussion with
   an integrative question as a starter
   - make sure people have water and the a/v works (You don't have to fix
   it - just make the call).

If you think you can do that, let me know: smith at sfu.ca

That's all for now, folks. Next newsletter in July. But if you have any
questions - let me know.

--
Richard Smith, Associate Professor School of Communication
Simon Fraser University, 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, CANADA V6B 5K3