[Air-l] A verb for using social networking sites

Mark D. Johns mjohns at luther.edu
Sat Jun 16 15:28:32 PDT 2007

Holly Kruse wrote:
> ..
> A pretty important caveat is that I have some students who are pretty
> involved in local and regional music production and promotion, and for them
> MySpace remains central, even as they also maintain "Facebooks," as they
> would call their Facebook pages -- perhaps indicating that MySpace, for all
> of its changes and problems over the past few years, remains the best place,
> for whatever reasons, for bands to promote themselves and information about
> music events to be circulated.

Yes, I did hear that being in a band, or needing to be on top of the
music scene (because one works at the student radio station, or for the
Student Activity Council that books bands for concerts on campus) were
acceptable excuses for using MySpace. However, I'm told that more and
more bands are going to YouTube, which lends credence to your remark
that loyalties are subject to change.
--
Mark D. Johns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Head of the