[Air-l] A verb for using social networking sites

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Mon Jun 18 10:19:12 PDT 2007

"Befriend" seems to refer quite specifically to creating a friendship
with someone with all the depth and diversity such a label implies
across all contexts, while "friending" may or may not refer to
creating a relationship that resembles the connection that
"befriending" implies. This confusion/conflation between having a
personal relationship that holds across varied contexts and having an
online connection one wishes to maintain is at the heart of both site
design shortcomings and public outcry about the devaluation of
friendship in the age of social networking sites.

I have been ranting a lot lately about the tremendous inadequacy of
the term "friend" in social networking sites, especially as I find my
own sitelives beginning to converge with the implication that I could
REALLY use more fine tuned ways to differentiate amongst the
connections subsumed within "friend."

The introduction of applications into Facebook has really brought
this home for me. I interviewed iLike's CEO for my blog and he thinks
it's just great that our music social life should be subsumed within
Facebook (of course he would given that this application has raised
iLike's profile a gazillion fold), but I think it's deeply
problematic to assume that we want the same set of "friends" to share
in all our online activities.

Flickr at least gives us friend/family/contact, but even that falls
so far short of what's needed to adequately manage who shares what
content and what you see about which people.

My blog post about this is here (link to the iLike interview is in
this post too):

http://www.onlinefandom.com/archives/why-not-all-friends-are-the-same/

Aside from danah boyd's papers on Friendster, the real (i.e. what
they mean to those who use them) definitions of 'friend' in social
networking sites is a dreadfully understudied topic. If anyone has
other references, please pass them along. Thanks.

Nancy