[Air-l] viewing American class divisions through Facebook and MySpace

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Mon Jun 25 20:19:29 PDT 2007

Today, I was pointed to the Quantcast data on FB users by someone
arguing against the perception/claim that FB is "quite white."

http://www.quantcast.com/facebook.com

I did a quick comparison with the MySpace data:

http://www.quantcast.com/myspace.com

When you compare the FB and MySpace demographics on Quantcast, the
notion that there is a class difference between FB and Myspace users
is supported (though obviously there are plenty of people from most
classes on each site):

Quantcast presents the data as bar charts that compare the
demographics of a site's users to the internet population in general.

The FB bars get bigger (i.e. greater representation on FB compared to
the overall internet population) the higher the household income,
while the MySpace bars get smaller. The MySpace levels are much
closer to one another across income levels, while there is a big
disparity in FB users at different income levels.

FB users are also evidently more likely to be more educated than
MySpacers (not surprising given its college origins).

The non-white part is less clear. Overall, it does look like FB is
more white, but African-Americans seem to be better represented on FB
than on MySpace. FB has proportionally more African Americans than
MySpace. On the other hand, FB has comparatively far fewer hispanics
or "others" than does MySpace. Asians's comparative presence about
the same on both sites.

I would be interested in hearing what people know about Quantcast
data -- where does it come from? how reliable is it? etc.

Ironically, the day before danah posted her essay, a friend in London
wrote on another space I frequent "What I want to know is where are
the non white people on FB......infact FB is pretty boring [...]
MySpazz is chaotic and a mess.... i like it, FB is way too bland."

In more local news, the AoIR facebook group topped 200 members today,
which I guess is about 15% of the list subscribers (though there are
a few in the FB group who aren't here).

Nancy