[Air-l] viewing American class divisions through Facebook andMySpace

Chadwick Andrew Andrew.Chadwick at rhul.ac.uk
Wed Jun 27 23:24:55 PDT 2007

Hi,

Jason wrote: "Facebook's aesthetics embody a kind of functional
minimalism that appeals to a middle class sensibility (significantly
personalisation applications do not disturb the overall layout and
colour scheme)"

Could you explain precisely what you mean by that, and the evidence or
theorising that underlies it, particularly the part about the affinities
between social class and the design interface? It's intriguing, but
problematic.

Thanks,

Andy

---------------------------------
Dr Andrew Chadwick,
Head of Department,
Department of Politics & International Relations,
Director, New Political Communication Unit,
Royal Holloway,
University of London.
New Political Communication Unit: http://newpolcom.rhul.ac.uk
Associate Editor, Journal of Information Technology and Politics:
http://www.jitp.net
Department Pages:
http://www.rhul.ac.uk/politics-and-IR/about-us/chadwick
Book Site: http://www.andrewchadwick.com
...Yes, I know I have too many websites in my sig...