[Air-l] viewing American class divisions through Facebook and MySpace

Martin Garthwaite marting at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 05:58:32 PDT 2007

I would certainly agree that any movement from one SNS to another can not
simply explained by class / race. In my case this is what makes FB and MS so
interesting, I signed up for Facebook a couple or years ago and did not use
it much, this all changed at the beginning of this year with more and more
ex work colleagues joining FB to provide the "tipping point", the tightly
coupled netwroking (mini feeds) really gives me a sense of involvement with
my friends, MS simply does not give this.

The clutter of MS over the cleanliness of FB and what that means to
respective users is a very interesting research question.

Given FB's elitist origins, it will be interesting to see how the population
stabilises in coming months / years, I personally don't like quantitative
research, but I could almost see myself reaching for SPSS (-: