[Air-l] women bloggers - data

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Mon Jun 11 07:08:46 PDT 2007

Another citation that might add to the discussion.

Reference List

Herring, Susan C. & Paolillo, John C. (2006, September). Gender and
Genre Variation in Weblogs. Journal of Sociolinguistics, 10(4),
439-459.  Retrieved February 7, 2007, from
http://www.blogninja.com/jslx.pdf

Abstract:  A relationship among language, gender, and discourse genre
has previously been observed in informal, spoken interaction and
formal, written texts. This study investigates the
language/gender/genre relationship in weblogs, a popular new mode of
computer-mediated communication (CMC). Taking as the dependent
variables stylistic features identified in machine learning research
and popularized in a Web interface called the Gender Genie, a
multivariate analysis was conducted of entries from random weblogs in a
sample balanced for author gender and weblog sub-genre (diary or
filter). The results show that the diary entries contained more
'female' stylistic features, and the filter entries more 'male'
stylistic features, independent of author gender. These findings
problematize the characterization of the stylistic features as
gendered, and suggest a need for more fine-grained genre analysis in
CMC research. At the same time, it is observed that conventional
associations of gender with certain spoken and written genres are
reproduced in weblogs, along with their societal valuations.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com