[Air-l] [AOIR 8.0] Vancouver Conference Update #3 (June 8, 2007) - Part 1

Richard Smith smith at sfu.ca
Tue Jun 12 00:15:58 PDT 2007

{The Air-L listserv software rejected your prolix conference chair last
week, so here's another try - in two parts}

Dear air-o-philes,

Already a month has passed and I am writing to you again about things air-y.
Not aery. Though that would be nice.

Items in this update:

   1. the hotel discounts (get 'em while you can)
   2. the (early bird) registration is available:
   http://www.aoir.org/?q=conf

Hotels

If you haven't booked your hotel yet - and some people have, so don't think
it is too early - now is the time to do it. Both hotels have online
registration systems, perfect for an internet researcher. Two options are
available:

1. Lovely hotel, someone else (or your grant) is paying:
    The Delta Vancouver Suites - $189, with complementary internet and right
across the street from the conference venue. Mention "Association of
Internet Researchers" to get the discount rate. Here is a link to more
information on the IR8 wiki:
http://wiki.aoir.org/index.php?title=IR8_Delta_Details

2. Pretty good hotel, but you are paying youself and are trying to save
money :
    Ramada Downtown Vancouver - $79, with wireless internet included and a
block and a half from the conference. Mention "AIR1563" to get the discount
rate. Here is a link to more information on the IR8 wiki:
http://wiki.aoir.org/index.php?title=IR8_Ramada_Details

Both of these are nice hotels, and I have stayed in both of them myself. We
only have limited numbers of rooms in each one, and these are very good
rates, so book early. If you get turned down, let me know and I will try to
negotiate a few more rooms.

If you want something a little different, a funky little place out of the
way - well... get online and start looking! Seriously, though, if you do
want suggestions, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

Registration

Some people are keen to get not only their hotel sorted out but the
conference fees paid, too. Good for you! We like that kind of organized,
forward thinking kind of person. And we like to reward early payment with an
"early bird" discount.

Discount from what, you ask? Well, the fees *have* been set, and here they
are:

   1. Student (early bird): $185.00
   2. Professional (early bird) $285.00
   3. Student (regular) $215.00
   4. Professional (regular) $335.00

As you can see, you save $50 by registering early! How cool is that? And
think, with $50 you can buy a nice dinner in Canada.

All the details on the registration site, being set up as I type this, by
Alex Halavais, are available from the IR8 wiki:
http://wiki.aoir.org/index.php?title=About_IR8.0

If you have any questions, by all means, let me know. At that site you will
be able to register for the banquet and hopefully even donate money to make
your trip "Carbon Neutral". We think of everything!

Register now!
http://www.aoir.org/?q=conf

--
Richard Smith, Associate Professor School of Communication
Simon Fraser University, 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, CANADA V6B 5K3