[Air-l] some thoughts from a user of facebook was: Re: A verb for using social networking sites

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 16 18:53:11 PDT 2007

I am still reading the archives on facebook.

Just as a user note here rather than having any research. Facebook
has less adds than myspace, and myspace allows me to share my home
made music.

Now some thing roughly quantitative  to add. I joined facebook about
a month ago. I looked for co-workers at statistics Canada as this was
given to me as a choice in a fairly open way.

more than 500 people seem to be employed at Statistics Canada on face
book. Our government department Statistics Canada has only 6000
employees.

500+ / 6000 is an amazing amount of coworkers. Our recent section
picnic of say 75 people was photographed by numerous people there and
posted on face book a few times.

I am now networked to so many people at work

A different thought now.
  I am comparing facebook to the internet directly and finding more
interaction with real life friends through facebook than on the
internet without facebook.

Peter Timusk,
B.Math statistics (2002), B.A. legal studies (2006) Carleton University
Systems Science Graduate student, University of Ottawa (2006-2007).
just trying to stay linear.
Read by hundreds of lurkers every week.