[Air-l] No apologies for self promotion

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon Jun 25 20:30:33 PDT 2007

(Actually, I'm not -- just communicating efficiently with lots of people I
know -- hope to see some of you at Communities & Technologies conference
this week at Michigan State).

I received a letter today (the old-fashioned way) telling me that I had
been elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.

According to [[Wikipedia]], "election to Fellowship in the Society is the
highest academic accoldate available to scientists and scholars in Canada."
The RSC was founded in 1882 and modeled on the UK Royal Society (Newton and
all that).

Besides kvelling, the election gives me the right to use the mysterious
initials "FSRC"  after my signature (as below). The RSC calls it a
"postnomial": my (and perhaps your) new word for the day.

With this, and Bev/my pending 42nd anniversary, I feel both content and
looking forward to more adventures in scholarship and love in the next
decades.

 Barry Wellman, FRSC

  Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
            For fun -- updating songs, movies and history:
            http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php
            Elvis wouldn't be singing Return to Sender now