[Air-l] Do volunteers run the internet?

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 15:06:10 PDT 2007

I like e's point. I also find an intriguing dichotomy between the
content (online publishing, listservs, etc.) and the physical
infrastructure (backbones, access points, asynchronous connections
fostering oligarchical as opposed to anarchistic relationships, etc.).
The term "governance" has to encompass both internal strictures, like
the use of .xxx and so forth, as well as the external factors, like
resource management, such as servers and bandwidth.

Read Siva Vaidhyanathan's "The Anarchist in the Library" (2004) for more
on the delineation between oligarchy and anarchy, which I've lifted
directly from that source.

-Conor