[Air-l] Illegal Music downloads - RIAA

alex at islands.vi alex at islands.vi
Sat Jun 2 09:21:18 PDT 2007

My son - a student at Drexel University - was served with a notice from
lawyers for RIAA demanding settlement for unlawful downloading of music
using LimeWire.
The settlement $3,000.
The RIAA is targeting university students and demanding payment. Not all
kids, just enough to scare the rest.
I investigated options, considering fighting a law suit. I have details
for anyone who wishes details.
Winning a suit against RIAA is nearly impossible.
The cost of losing is up to $750 per song. Astronomical.
Universities are being targeted since many students use Univ facilities to
copy music and they are easier to target than kids at home. Easier to get
teh incriminating data.

at issue is that many music sharing tools allow anyone to copy FROM
yourHD... meaning everyone isa supplier of illegal copies.

Nevertheless - most students seem to think music should be free and freely
copy their favorites.

I have details for anyone who wishes more on this case.

Alex Randall
Prof of Communication
Univ of the Virgin Islands.