[Air-l] Poll on annoying Internet neologisms

Derek McMillan derekmcmillan1951 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 14:22:51 PDT 2007

Actually I think calling a URL "earl" is rather endearing.

None of the top "annoying" neologisms annoy me however. It's a free
country, people will develop the language the way they find most
convenient and we can't lay down what words will or will not become
current. Tell pupils a particular turn of phrase particularly annoys you
and you are asking to hear it at every turn.

McDonalds know this to their cost. They have tried to have the term
McJob (a low-paid non-union job) removed from the Oxford English
Dictionary (and forced their employees to circulate petitions). They
only attracted adverse publicity and ridicule for their pains.