[Air-l] viewing American class divisions through Facebook and MySpace

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Fri Jun 29 07:34:11 PDT 2007

Robert, I have no doubt that there are class distinctions between teens
with and without email addresses.  However, I can tell you for personal
experience that the number of teens without email addresses is closing
quickly, specifically in English speaking countries.

When I began "studying" teens online in the late 1990's, I would tell
anyone who asked me questions about my work, that I did not study
average teens.  I was, then, studying upper middle and upper class
teens whose families had the resources for home computers and broadband
or at least a dedicated phone line to support the computer.  While this
class distinction didn't hold true in all individual cases it was it
was true often enough.

Now I would have to say I study "average teens" in that most teens, in
developed countries, have at least some access to the internet on a
weekly basis (see PEW studies for U.S. stats and Sonia Livingstone -
and colleagues - work for U.K. stats).  With the move from public
synchronous environments (chatrooms) to public asynchronous ones
(blogs, and SNS - Web 2.0) many more teens have enough access to update
their sites regularly, if not daily.

As for untangling class on the internet, I think in looking at
distinctions between MySpace and Facebook one must filter the class
issues eyond who has access to the internet.  If access to Facebook
were still limited to college/university email address holders then the
question of class and ethnic distinctions between the sites would be
rhetorical at best.  The real issue is access to higher
education...Facebook would then, and possibly still is, only be
reflective of a larger societal issue.  Would it be useful, overall, to
compare membership of say a major U.S. university fraternity and the
Moose or Elks Clubs in the U.S.?  Possibly but the larger question
would be, what does the distinction tell us...is access to the
organizations limited by design (as Facebook was for several years) or
are other factors limiting access?

I don't have a problem with the line of thought or of the questions I
see being used in this thread.  My concern is again that we don't draw
"net" distinctions as though they are independent of terrestrial world
variables.  Utopians and dystopians can be fun...but only for a little
while.

As a side note, I recently finished reading Malcolm Gladwell's most
recent book "Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking."  In it
Gladwell gives an interesting and relevant example of the unseen
limitations that kept women out of, or kept the numbers of women low
in, major orchestras.  The limitation was not the quality of women's
musicianship, though some said that initially, nor was it a series of
"women need not apply" rules, though those implications existed as
well.  Rather it was the existence of biases within the orchestra
community that were put into play unconsciously when conductors saw a
woman play, the visual of a woman playing her musical instrument drew
out unconscious biases that then framed the review of the audition.
When audition processes were changed and applicants played from behind
an opaque screen, more women were hired and now gender breakdown is
nearly 50/50.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com