[Air-l] Do volunteers run the internet?

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Fri Jun 29 09:31:14 PDT 2007

> I am talking about volunteers running the internet.

Then the answer to your question is probably 'no'.

> 1. a fair amount of content is provided for no money like blogs that
> don't make money

Most of which are hosted on machines operated by people who do get paid
for their work.

> 2. open source software

The production of which is rather different from "running the internet".

The internet does operate largely through use of software that is
open-source.

Not all open source / free software authors have "volunteerism" as a
primary motivator.

> 3. voluntary organisations like FreeNets.

.. which are quite rare nowadays.

--e