[Air-l] Call for AoIR Grad Panel Volunteers

Ted M Coopman coopman at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 26 10:11:55 PDT 2007

Hello All,

Every AoIR conference, the Graduate Student Representative is given a panel slot to address issues or potential interest or benefit to graduate student members.

This year the panel is: Survivor: Graduate School

When my father in-law, who got his Ph.D. in the 1950s, hears my laments he comments on how little graduate school has changed since he went through the process. Often, the experiences and lessons learned from our own experiences as graduate students are lost to those who come after us or at least filtered through subsequent experiences as faculty. This panel is an opportunity for us to share tips and advice on surviving a process that is estimated by the Chronicle of Higher Education of having a 50% non-completion rate.

So, this is an invitation for current graduate students and especially recent grads in all fields to come and share their wisdom, experiences, and tips for success. This is not intended to be a "whine and cheese" event (altho it is a part of a grad students job to complain!) but a forum for sharing our collective intelligence on time and stress management, productivity strategies, faculty interaction, funding, balancing life and school, and other challenges.

Please email me off list if you are interested participating in a more formal capacity, but as always, these roundtables are open discussion forums in which all are welcome.

-TED

Ted M. Coopman
Department of Communication
University of Washington