[Air-l] viewing American class divisions through Facebook and MySpace

Eszter Hargittai info at webuse.org
Sat Jun 30 09:39:43 PDT 2007

Hi,

It just occured to me that I had neglected to include an important piece of
information in my post about our study. The data I reported on here were
collected in February and March, 2007.  Curiously, no one wrote to me for
clarification even though this piece of info is important.  (I just hope
people read updates about various data sources critically and with care.)

On a related note, I find the dynamics between the following two issues
intriguing on this list. On occasion we see people expressing
hostility/ambivalence/skepticism toward quantitative work. At the same time,
there are quite a few messages asking for baseline information about the
demographic breakdown of users of various services. I hope people realize
that without the former, the latter's hard to achieve. And what may seem
like a quick figure can take considerable resources (time, labor, money) to
compile. Of course, thoughtful and constructive criticism of work is always
welcomed, however, outright dismissal of entire methodological approaches
does not seem helpful.  And of course, the role of quan work is way more
than to provide baseline figures, but it's a helpful component.

Eszter

http://www.eszter.com