[Air-l] Shades of "A Rape in Cyberspace"

Bonnie Nardi nardi at ics.uci.edu
Mon Jun 4 13:13:10 PDT 2007

I have been studying World of Warcraft for eighteen months, and it is
not possible to "make off with the virtual belongings" of a character
in-game. There are no "lawless regions" of the game.  It is possible to
hack people's accounts and steal their stuff (which is quickly be
transformed into unrecognizable generic items), but not to be accosted
in-game as this article says, referring to the perils of "lone
travelers."

This kind of journalistic story telling seems to perenially recycle the
theme of cybercrime without being informed about the social settings in
which it is allegedly taking place. Talk about fantasy -- the
assertions about World of Warcraft are just that.

--

Bonnie