[Air-l] A verb for using social networking sites

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Jun 17 04:47:11 PDT 2007

One part of what people do on social networking sites is friending
people.  Anyway, I was wondering what people
are saying and so I did some unscientific online research. :)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=facebooking

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=friending

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=myspacing

"facebooking" has 26,400 google hits, "facebooked" 19,300
"friending" has  351,000 google hits, "friended" 331,000
"myspacing" has 121,000 google hits, "myspaced" 45,300

According to the Oxford American Dictionary, "friend" is an actual
transitive verb, with
this example sentence:

"• add (someone) to a list of friends or contacts associated with a
weblog or electronic list : I am friended by 29 people who I have not
friended back."

neither "facebook" nor "myspace" appear at all in the OAD. (The
version on my mac, I mean.)

--Jimbo