[Air-l] A verb for using social networking sites

Mia Consalvo consalvo at ohio.edu
Mon Jun 18 10:32:35 PDT 2007

I'd agree that I sometimes feel uneasy about what I'm sharing, and with who,
via FaceBook. It seems to come back to when we talk about our undergrads and
the "don't they know who reads their stuff" concern. Someone (can't remember
who) talked about this as assuming privacy or anonymity where there is
really none- but it's a group consensus. Just as when, in a large group,
everyone pretends to 'not listen' to the person talking next to them on
their mobile phone.

On a research note, I'm plugging a chapter from the 4th volume of the AoIR
Annual, titled "Hyperfriendship and Beyond: Friends and Social Norms on
LiveJournal" by David Fono and Kate Raynes-Goldie. They found that indeed,
there was broad confusion and lack of consensus over what the term "friend"
meant in the context of LiveJournal usage. Definitely worth a read---

Mia
--
Mia Consalvo, Associate Professor
Director of Graduate Studies