[Air-l] the choice of social network is a social network phenomenon?

Martin Garthwaite marting at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 01:16:40 PDT 2007

I also think that geographical location is also an important factor, again
no hard data, but in the UK at least there appears to be a age bias to which
SNS that you use.

When I researched www.bebo.com, a 19 year old first year university student
at LSE made some very interesting observations, both her parents were school
teachers, but she did not consider herself middle class, she found FB
elitist, along with most of the students at LSE, but used www.bebo.com to
connect with her friends from her home town that did not go to university.

FB certainly appears to be the out right winner for university students and
recently on Capital Radio (largest popular music radio station in London)
did a simple internet / text in poll on what their listeners were using, FB
won.

Having been on FB for over two years now (you had to have a university email
address to sign up when I joined), I have noticed that a lot of friends and
ex work colleagues are opening FB accounts.

Martin

--
Martin Garthwaite

PhD candidate, London Knowledge Lab www.lkl.ac.uk