[Air-l] audio/video at IR conferences

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Jun 26 11:42:00 PDT 2007

usual annual question:
will there be audio/video recordings at an Internet Research conference?
usual annual response:
'no' usually phrased as 'the conference group/exec will discuss it',
which usually means 'how much will it cost?', which resolves into,
'well, yes it can be done, but only if you donate a large sum of
money, and or do it yourself', which usually resolves into 'no, it
will not happen.'

That seems to me to be the only reasonable, if somewhat surreal,
response given the labor and thus cost of recording sessions.
Sometimes people make personal recordings, and we do have recordings
of the first conference's keynotes somewhere.  I'm not speaking for
anyone else, I'm merely speaking as someone who has watched this
discussion balloon a few different times.

Personally, I'm against recording any session other than keynotes.  I
think photographs, blogging, and a back-channel are great additions,
but public recording of session stifles the communal atmosphere where
people can be frank and collegial.