[Air-l] viewing American class divisions through Facebook andMySpace

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Fri Jun 29 05:52:09 PDT 2007

Your construct of teens as congregating with "people like us" bothers
me because it seems overly broad.  Based on my experience talking to
teens online, they  move to online venues first through word-of-mouth
from f2f friends and acquaintances.  Once they are online, many younger
teens only converse with people they know f2f...the media has done a
good job in scary parents about the "dangers" online, who then scare
their kids.

Older teens may expand their circles into the circles of their friends,
hence the popularity of second level friending.  While a few, more
experimental, teens may converse with random partners...many try this
once or twice but don't continue the practice.  A few will continue it
often for less acceptable purposes - bullying, flaming, or "hooking up."

Movement between online spaces may take place because of
recommendations from f2f friends, or online only friends.  Some
adventurous types, or most 15-year old boys, will check out new spaces
based on news coverage or random searches.  But like most forays into
the dark side, these are usually fishing expeditions rather then
gateways to extensive use of new spaces.  In other words, they may
check out new spaces, they may even take up a temporary residence in
such spaces, but total movement of their online "home" is tied to the
location - or relocation - of primary f2f friends.

So at it's simplest and most basic form, when teens enter an online
space initially it is for "people known to me" who of course may be
"people like me" but implies a different level of specificity.

I must admit that I have found Bourdieu to be only partially applicable
to adolescent spaces.  In applying his theories I have to use a "small
world" approach first.  With teens their primary concerns are with the
social hierarchy of their f2f world.  Unlike adults, they are not as
concerned that everyone they meet - or cross paths with - recognize
their social standing.  They are, however, very concerned that their
social standing, stands out among their peers...their classmates and
friends at their high school, in their neighborhood, and in their
acquaintance pools.  I believe this is because many of their social
worlds are still very small towns where they see the same peers at
school, socially, on teams, etc.  Their social circles tend to have
much more overlap then do the social circles of many adults.

In all my work I use adolescent development theory as my true
underpinning because I have found even without consciously using it we
still end up proving that it works, i.e. the average 15-year-old boy is
more adventurous than and less tied to social conventions then the
average 15-year-old girl.  However this may change during various
developmental periods with the adventurousness see-sawing between the
sexes.  Without an understanding of adolescent development theory, I
have seen researchers attribute characteristics to online interactions
that rather then being unusual or motivated by their use of online
spaces are normal teen developmental stages that if we were to follow
that young person 24/7 we would see enacted with their f2f friends,
their teachers, and their parents.

To tie adolescent development into the MySpace/Facebook discussion.  I
have found that at an experimental stage teens move to what is "new".
So for most of my adolescent research population (10-19) Facebook was
not a factor since prior to the launch of their high school section in
Sept. 2005, the only college and university email address holders had
access to Facebook.  So from it's inception, in 2003, MySpace has
allowed access to non-academic teens.  That gave MySpace a critical
two-year jump on Facebook with those not yet in college or university,
in truth the "two-year" jump is misleading since not all U.S.
institutions of higher education were allowed access to Facebook from
the beginning.

So is it surprising that their is an economic and ethnic divide between
the sites...it shouldn't be if you have even a passing acquaintance
with statistic on college/university attendance based on family of
origin economic status and ethnicity.

Will the divide hold true now that Facebook allows access to anyone
with an email address?  Give it another year of so and we shall see.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com