[Air-l] what is the turnitin copyright claim? - at Universities

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 21:25:12 PST 2007

Re: post-graduate (graduate) vs. under-grad copyright

--- burkx006 at umn.edu wrote:
> On Mar 9 2007, Philip N Howard wrote:
> > At UW, we've been advised that undergraduates
> control the copyright on

Yes at Southern Cross University, for each section of
the graduate thesis that exist as single papers, for
example, the student and the supervisor 'sign off' on
the appropriate authorship share for that document.

If it is then published in a journal, the 'authors'
hold copyright along with the journal - doesn't the
journal keep the 'rights of distribution and
re-publication' and the authors keep the 'intellectual
content'

If the thesis is whole, such as a book, that will be
declared in an authorship statement for the thesis as
a whole. If it is then published, see above.

As I understand it, the university holds the
'publisher' license to distribute and re-publish and
the authors hold the content. Therefore if the thesis
goes to Digital theses the copyright is declared as
the University on behalf of the author (I think).

For undergraduates, the authors hold the content and
the university does not make a claim.

A bit sketchy but there is a distinction in how we do
this here at SCU in Australia.

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD thesis, "Locating four pathways to
internet scholarship" School of Env. Science, Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Tues: Room T2.17, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/
Virtual member, Cybermetrics Group, University of Wolverhampton, UK
http://cybermetrics.wlv.ac.uk/index.html