[Air-l] SMS and cell phone research

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Mon Mar 12 17:10:17 PDT 2007

I would start with McLuhan's work: The Media is the Massage and War and
Peace in the Global Village. The rationale is that the cell phone is the
communications technological extension of ourselves that McLuhan talked
about,and it links us to the global village through
voice,text,video,tv,gaming and the Internet. Googin (2006)has a book on
cell phones that I used for my study. Also check out Prensky's work and
Gee's work on video gaming since this is the direction that phones are
going especially with the iPhone and smart phones that enable you to
download games. In the future many of these games will be serious games
which will be utilized with podcasts of classes to develop competencies
for courses. In fact, China and many African nations are more wireless
dependent than hard wired. Also look at studies on VOIP and iPTV, as
well as flashed based sites like YouTube, Verizon's Fios, Sprint's
Network and AT&T's video network. Packet switched networks like Cisco
are promising places to look to. Check out the Rand Corporation and the
International Telecommunications Union and the cell phone trade industry
headed by former Congressman Steve Largent: CTIA. I am in Baltimore/DC
working all the time and you can find the organization and their web
site in DC. The White House actually sent out a directive on using text
messages for amber alerts as well as using all electronic mediums to get
out emergency messages since 911. Check out the White House site. Yes I
conducted my research on convergence and I work in the federal sector
with a lot of these folks. Go to the LOC (Library of Congress). You have
a gold mine at your disposal by attending school in the DC area. All of
the lobbyists are there too and they will probably be glad to provide
you old, but recent data. Don't expect to get real immediate data with
legislation pending a and an election coming up next year.All of the
international organizations are in DC too. Check out the NTIS a branch
of the Commerce Department. I've worked with them on several films and
research for school. Most government agencies have reports on line now,
and check out the Pew Institute for Internet Life. Move On.org and the
RNC probably can give you great stuff too! Good luck! Maybe I'll bump
into you when I'm working in DC.