[Air-l] is this ethical?

Jill Walker jill.walker at uib.no
Fri Mar 16 01:21:59 PDT 2007

I also make my students blog in public - although like Doug, I've
come to the conclusion that blogging doesn't work well with
unmotivated students. Having said that I *have* had very successful
blogging semesters with students, so I don't think that "it doesn't
work" is the whole answer - perhaps I did a better job of showing
them the point and thus helping them become internally motivated in
the successful semester.

Anyway, I do strongly believe that if you're going to do blogging in
class, it should be public because that's the only way they're going
to learn network literacy - you don't learn how society works by
staying locked up in a room.

It's really astounding how UN-public traditional academic studies
(liberal arts, sciences) are compared to other disciplines. If you
study music you give public concerts - even as a child just taking
lessons once a week you have to deal with performing in public at
regular intervals. If you study art you can't really dodge the public
exhibitions. If you study dance or theatre, you perform in public.
School children put on plays and so on for parents and often other
people in the community several times a year. My friend who's
studying to be a priest had to "perform" a funeral service the other
day - in public, obviously.

Really it's quite bizarre that liberal arts and social sciences
students are supposed to write for NO AUDIENCE - term papers just for
the teacher? Why?

If it's not unethical that a ten-year-old who takes violin lessons is
expected to perform at public concerts, why would it be unethical
that a twenty-year-old student is expected to write a public blog?

There are some caveats. Because of the searchability of the internet,
I tell my students to use pseudonyms or just first names, and I make
sure they know how public their words can be. I also tell them that
they need to learn to deal with this public world and the ways people
use it.

I wrote a paper about my experience with blogging and teaching and
how important I think the public aspects of it are with more examples:

Walker, Jill. 2005. "Weblogs: Learning in Public." On the Horizon 13
(2). 112-118.
http://www.emeraldinsight.com/Insight/viewContentItem.do?
contentType=Article&hdAction=lnkpdf&contentId=1509888&dType=SUB

or you can read a pre-print in my university's open access archive:
https://bora.uib.no/handle/1956/1841

Jill

----
Jill Walker
Associate Professor, Dept of Humanistic Informatics, University of
Bergen, Norway
http://jilltxt.net