[Air-l] Origin of the term "Internet"

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sat Mar 31 13:18:30 PDT 2007

I don't think there are any ontological commitments per se, if you
want to construct them, that is fine, but i see diverse usages in
technical and non-technical spheres, and I do not see any basis for
the claim that there is any frame present for usage beyond fashion or
common use.  Specifically, other than style guidelines in some
domains and presses, I don't think there is any basis to the position
you are taking below, but if you can marshal evidence that outside of
style-guide determined systems, there is a technical/non-technical
split, I would love to see it.  I participate in both and I see
people migrating back and forth without issue.
On Mar 31, 2007, at 3:55 PM, James Whyte wrote:

> First Monday will not allow anything but the cap I species. (factoid)
>
>   I have gone back in the archives for discussions on the
> definition of the Internet. This is a rich source of information. I
> would recommend it to anyone.
>
>   There are two school of thought exposed.
>   1. the Internet is rigidly defined as "Network of networks bound
> by the TCP/IP protocols
>   2. the above but including all socio/psychological/humanities
> based activities that are conducted using the above. i.e. a generic
> application
>
>   I assert, both represent ontological commitments and the
> resulting sanctioned inferences. Form 1 - represents the cap "I"
> argument and Form 2 represents the lower case.
>
>   This elaboration has importance because it frames, in a
> generative way, the nature of scholarship that is considered to be
> Internet Research and therefor sanctioned.
>
>   In form 1, research is confined to technological domains. If form
> 2 qualitative approaches are given greater lattitude and sactions
> appear be less restrictive.
>
>   Combining two threads Wired could be folkloric knowledge and
> therefor not within scholarly sanctions or domains; as opposes to
> knowledge derived from elite sources. The same is true of Wikipedia
> vs Britannica, blogs etc.
>
>   Jeremy asserts that there are many definitions of the "Internet"
> and I would agree. Each of those definitions form a ontological
> commitment and each has its scope of acceptable inferences
> (sanctioned)
>
>   The archives clearly exposes these boundary disputes. Referencing
> yet a third thread, these boundary disputes are a manifestation of
> "naturally occuring conflicts." One could argue that the conflicts
> represent the application of sanctions derived from an ontology.
>
>   In my opinion you were not off topic.
>
>   James
>

> William Bain <willronb at yahoo.com> wrote:
>   Hi folks. Just "tuppencely" and hopefully not off topic I note
> that Wikipedia seems to prefer capitalizing "the Internet" and the
> noun alone in terms like !"Internet protocols". Somehow I have a
> feeling the lower case forms will win out in the end, though, as
> seems often to happen with things like brand names. Very
> interesting discussion!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Will
>

> William Bain
> PhD Student
> Comparative Literature
> Department of Spanish Philology
> Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

wiki.tmttlt.com
www.tmttlt.com

http://www.stswiki.org/  sts wiki