[Air-l] 988 exabytes of info created in 2010

James Howison jhowison at syr.edu
Tue Mar 6 12:09:10 PST 2007

IDC research huh?  Does that qualify as an 'A Journal'? ;)

The results of commercial research firms are always so nicely
packaged and illustrated---and maybe that's one of the reasons that
actual real world decisions are based on them.  (50 Rhode Islands?
That sounds like a lot, I'd better buy more ;)

Which, of course, makes them 'important' but for reasons other than
their 'truth'.  Their importance seems self-reinforcing: people
listen to these groups because they know that their peers and
customers use them to make decisions, and the more they are used the
more likely others will use them.  Sort of the 'no one ever got fired
for believing IDC/Gartner etc' effect.

I have students quoting such 'studies' all the time and I find them
completely unable to discuss the extent to which they believe the
studies and why (at worst the question appears nonsensical to them).
This is perhaps because many of the statistics are pulled from (free)
press releases, like the below, rather than the full (expensive)
reports, but also because the standards of review are completely
opaque, even once the full reports are pulled.

Is anyone aware of research that asks the question, 'how reliable are
the predictions of commercial research firms?'.  (Although this study
being sponsored by the 'we sell storage' firm, EMC, so maybe it ought
to be categorized as 'vendor research'!).

Now that would be an interesting article.  Perhaps IDC would even
sponsor it :)

--J