[Air-l] turnitin issue

Alexis Turner subbies at redheadedstepchild.org
Mon Mar 12 19:17:39 PDT 2007

thing could possibly be the Google cache copyright case that was closed last
year (in which Google was sued under the auspices that its caching function
breached a web page creator's copyright).

Story can be found here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/27/google_cache_copyright_breach_ruling/

In short, a few points, in Google's favor:
Google's use was deemed Fair Use because:
	Google did not create the article, rather, the user "created" it when
they placed a request with Google to serve the page.  In other words, the page
would never have been printed or seen the light of day had the user not clicked
the button.
	The plaintiff was perfectly aware in advance of what would happen and
did nothing to stop it.  The parallel here would be if a school required
students to accept accept use of TurnItIn - which is a legitimate action
(consider the requirement to sign a non-compete or non-disclosure agreement as a
legitimate requirement for employment, or an agreement to sign an academic
honesty statement) - in order to be part of the student body.
	There was no evidence that Google profited from the feature in a way
that outweighed its beneficial and "transformative" use.  IMHO, this is the
point at which the Turnitin question is most in the air - it could be decided
either way.
	The plaintiff was unable to prove that his own market for his work was
infringed upon.  No offense to undergraduates, but given the average quality of
the undergrad paper, I suspect that this would hold true for Turnitin as well.
	Google acted in good faith.
	Google, as a service provider, is permitted to store temporary copies of
material under the DMCA.

This does not match the Turnitin case precisely, but I think it has many
relevant parallels to consider.
-Alexis