[Air-l] CALL FOR PAPERS: SLCC07: Virtual worlds/second life and business

James Downing jim.downing at rmit.edu.au
Mon Mar 19 16:34:38 PDT 2007

Thought this article might be of interest
"The New Avatar In Town
Cyndi Lester, 20, recalls her first meeting with future husband, Frank: "My avatar walked past his. He noticed me and typed: I like your hair." After their real-life wedding last year, Cyndi and Frank bought digital rings and staged a second, virtual-world wedding.It all happened in MapleStory—a fantastical online game where players hunt cartoon monsters and communicate in text. For Lester, a Huntington (W.Va.) homemaker who devotes three to six hours a day exploring this two-dimensional universe, the allure of MapleStory is more about show than shoot-'em-up. She spends up to $100 a month buying new clothes (at 9 cents to $7 apiece) and hairstyles ($5.70) for her digital double.Suddenly it looks as if Second Life, that 3D virtual world that last year became a favorite hangout for hard-core techies and trend-watching corporations, has competition. A new crop of online multiplayer games is coming, targeting a broader audience with simpler navigation and customization than Second Life. These games also rule out lewd behavior. The companies behind them have a novel way of making money, selling digital goods such as avatars and their outfits. The games themselves are free......"
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_13/b4027047.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_more+of+today%27s+top+stories

>>> "Marc Fetscherin" <MFETSCHERIN at Rollins.edu> 20/03/07 8:38 AM >>>
I would like to share this with you

CALL FOR PAPERS
3rd International Second Life Community Convention (SLCC07)
August 24-26, 2007, Chicago, USA
Track: *Business in Second Life*
http://slcc2007.wordpress.com/

SCOPE
The emergence of virtual worlds and Web 3.D change the way of
doing business. Web 3.D is the synonym for Internet-based virtual
worlds, where people can create own 3-D *virtual*
personalities. One of the most famous of these virtual worlds is
Second Life. It is undergoing an evolution similar to that of the
Internet in the mid nineties and it might impact profoundly the
way people cooperate, communicate, collaborate, and conduct
business. The recent entering of companies such as Toyota,
American Apparel, Nissan, or Adidas on Second Life is a first
indication for the upcoming role of this platform for the next
generation of conducting business online.
The conference provides a forum for industry, academia, and
government to present their latest findings in virtual worlds
like Second Life and the underlying technology to support these
applications. Therefore, we invite contributions (research paper,
working paper, work-in progress) from a broad spectrum of
disciplines including economics, management, business, marketing,
finance, information systems, and computer sciences.

TRACK TOPICS
The track focuses on but is not limited to the following topics:

-   Product Testing in SL
-   Image, Branding, Advertising in SL
-   Marketing in Second Life
-   Selling, Cross-Selling Real and SL
-   Intellectual Property, Copyright, Trademarks in Second Life
-   Business Planning for Non-profits in SL
-   Promotion, Fundraising Tool and SL
-   Customer Integration and SL
-   Technology & Business, Strategy in SL
-   Financial Systems, Investments, Currency Exchange in SL
-   Emerging Media Presence in SL
-   Fashion Industry in Second Life
-   The Future of Second Life and Beyond
-   Second Life as a Web 3.0 Technology

IMPORTANT DATES
Submission Papers: June 1, 2007
Notification of Acceptance: July 1, 2007
Final Paper Submission: August 1, 2007

SUBMISSION PROCEDURES
Submissions should describe original research work not submitted
or published elsewhere. The author is responsible for
correspondence, including the author*s name, mailing address,
telephone and fax numbers, and e-mail address has to be
identified. One of the authors of each paper must register and
present the paper at the conference.
Submitted papers will be double-blind reviewed and evaluated on
significance, originality, quality, and exposition.y, finding
its relevance to Second Life. Accepted papers will be presented
at the conference and published in the Conference Proceeding.
Best papers will be published either in a book or in a Journal.
There will also be *Best Paper Awards*.

In order to have your proposal considered, please submit it no
later than 1st June to

christoph.lattemann at uni-potsdam.de or mfetscherin at rollins.edu

using the following guidelines.
-   Follow the *Guide for Authors* from the Journal of
Electronic Commerce Research
(www.csulb.edu/journals/jecr/s_g.htm)
-   You need to submit the file as a Microsoft Word-Format file
-   Your email should use the subject line "SLCC Business Track"

LOGISTICS & TRAVEL INFORMATION
We will release registration details and hotel rooming
information in the coming weeks. We can share that the cost of
registration will be in the range of about USD 200 and will
include breakfast snacks and lunch on both Saturday and Sunday as
well as some awesome musical performances and conference
materials. The event is being held at the Hilton Chicago and the
hotel rates with our block is $159 per night before tax. THE ROOM
BLOCK IS NOT SET UP YET SO PLEASE DO NOT CALL TO BOOK A ROOM AT
THIS RATE YET! We are all very excited about SLCC 2007 and will
get you all details as soon as we have them (for updated
information, http://slcc2007.wordpress.com).

COMMITTEE
Marc Fetscherin, Rollins College, USA
Christoph Lattemann, University of Potsdam, Germany
Guido Lang, University of Bern, Switzerland
Peter Lokke, CEO Crucial Armitage Inc., (Crucial Creations
(SL)), New York, USA

FURTHER INFORMATION
More Information and details at the conference website on
http://slcc2007.wordpress.com or
http://secondliferesearch.blogspot.com/
General inquiries and requests about the track: *Business in
Second Life* should be sent to mfetscherin at rollins.edu