[Air-l] Attribute based web scales

Cugelman, Brian B.Cugelman at wlv.ac.uk
Mon Mar 19 11:48:31 PDT 2007

Dear All,

I'm investigating how website attributes impact users' behaviour in the context of social campaign. A pilot study I conducted found a number of results: that usability, design, credibility and the quality of interactive applications were associated with more active users. Moving to the next stage, I wanted to develop attribute based evaluation scales I could use to assess website's credibility, usability, degree of interactivity and content quality. Ideally, I'd like to avoid systems that require human judgement and develop scales that ask: does it have X, does it have Y, is it missing Z. And from these come to a basic ranking of sites' usability, credibility, etc...

I'm now pooling sources and was wondering if anyone knows about any 'tried and tested' scales which measure the above web attributes and have proven successful in the past; have suggestions on good frameworks from which to base such scales; or general thoughts on using attribute based scales to evaluate websites?

Any advice is appreciated,

Brian

Brian Cugelman
Statistical Cybermetrics Research Group