[Air-l] How Much Information / Information Growth

Semenov Alexander semenoffalex at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 1 06:43:39 PST 2007

Hmm, here can be a lot of dichotomies. For example subjective
(knowledge)/objective (information), referred to values (knowledge)/ free of
values (information), substantive(knowledge)/formal (information) and so on.
Or it can be considered as a process of internalization of khowledge, like:
Objective information ---media (books, etc.)---socialization----->subjective
knowledge.
But my idea was that perhaps this division is somehow connected with
modernity. I think, that analogy with leading idea of Georg Simmel's
"Philosophy of money" could be very fruitful and interesting. Or it can be
connected with processes of rationalization in Max Webers sence. What do you
think?
It's not my primary research theme - I just wondered and decided to ask.
Usually I think about it in the background of my brain - nothing more. But,
however this idea seems more and more interesting to me from sociological
perspective. If someone knows some theoretical sources on that matter I'll
be happy to discuss it. But, I think that we should start a new topic as
we've already flooded a lot of irrelevant information =)
Alexander Semenov.
 MA student
 Faculty of Sociology
 Moscow School of Social and Economic Sciences (MSSES)
 http://www.msses.ru/English/index.html