[Air-l] How Much Information / Information Growth

Jose-Carlos Mariategui J.Mariategui at lse.ac.uk
Thu Mar 1 06:59:18 PST 2007

Knowledge to my understanding is more related to some type information that
is sustained over time (as the ones carried by libraries).  Information may
be seen in that respect a very general concept, but in order to make us
aware of the fundamental change in using information, specially due to the
explosion of the internet, we should not just take a look at the particular
artefacts but the connections among them, that are brought upon the use of
information.

There are other ways of approaching the concept of information.  Of course
digital data is one of them and that is what I referred when I mentioned the
Lyman and Varian 2003 study.  The work of Shannon is a much more
engineering-based approach that does not acknowledge information as meaning
or content, but as discrete syntactic information (information through a
channel).

I am basically trying to look upon research being done in how to approach
the quantification and qualification of information available today in the
world.

Jose-Carlos