[Air-l] How Much Information / Information Growth

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 14:08:30 PST 2007

Ok Air-ers -

I'm staying out of the
data/information/knowledge/wisdom debate -
Here's some websites that measure no. of journals
which might be a benchmark for other types of
information explosion.

I personally am not *too* worried about information
explosion - but information implosion - where somehow
Paris Hilton and other 'high interest' topics come to
dominate any internet search in endless loops.

However this is an infometric issue - and we've got
some good scholars around on these topics - especially
those associated with the NIWI group in Amsterdam -
any opinions there?

> Hi Denise
>
> this web site also came up looks good
> http://octavia.zoology.washington.edu/publishing/
>
> There is a nice graph the you can get to from the
> links on the left
> "Journal numbers over time"
>
> And the 2006 update of the paper

http://octavia.zoology.washington.edu/publications/BergstromAndBergstrom06.pdf

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD thesis, "Locating four pathways to
internet scholarship" School of Env. Science, Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Tues: Room T2.17, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/
Virtual member, Cybermetrics Group, University of Wolverhampton, UK
http://cybermetrics.wlv.ac.uk/index.html