[Air-l] Wikipedia weakness

Michael Zimmer michael.zimmer at nyu.edu
Thu Mar 8 12:47:26 PST 2007

I don't see this as a fundamental flaw with Wikipedia's structure -
faked credentials (and improper vetting of them) can plague almost
any organization or community:

* Michael Brown at FEMA: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/
0,8599,1103003,00.html
* George O'Leary (football coach): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
George_O%27Leary#Notre_Dame_Controversy
* "Security consultant" posing as Fed Agent to stalk "Brangelina":
http://www.tmz.com/2006/09/14/fake-fed-wanted-to-get-near-brangelina/

And, of course, it was the New Yorker (who has greater resources for
fact-checking) who got fooled here just as much as the Wikipedia
community....

-mz

-----
Michael T. Zimmer
  Doctoral Candidate, Culture and Communication, New York University
  Student Fellow, Information Law Institute, NYU Law School
e: michael.zimmer at nyu.edu
w: http://michaelzimmer.org