[Air-l] turnitin issue

burkx006 at umn.edu burkx006 at umn.edu
Fri Mar 9 07:55:12 PST 2007

Hi Doug --

First, I agree about the separate issue of instructors managaing
relationships with students.

As far as the copyright question goes, no fair use configuration is *ever*
resolved until litigated. But that doesn't mean that we can't do a good
extrapolation from decided cases. And one thing the Supreme Court has been
fairly clear on is that the commercial/non-commercial distinction is not
determinative, or even very important, in fair use. So that doesn't really
count against Turnitin or for Google on the analysis.

If there is a difference between Google Books and Turnitin, I would say
that it is in the public benefit of the resulting database. The potential
public benefits of the Google digitized library are enormous; the public
benefits of the Turnitin database are much more modest. DLB

--
Dan L. Burk
Oppenheimer, Wolff & Donnelly Professor
bits: burkx006 at umn.edu