[Air-l] turnitin issue

Judy Rice riceja at ldschurch.org
Fri Mar 9 08:23:50 PST 2007

Have lurked for quite some time--but this issue is one too close to my heart to
remain silent.  I have taught adjudicated youth in alternative high schools and
pre-service teachers at the university. Have spent a great deal of time in self
evaluation. What do I really want from my students? Why do they need to learn
what I teach?  What do they need to do to convince me they have indeed learned?

The issue is that in this new age of technology and distributed information,
we, as educators, need new ways for students to demonstrate proficiency and
subject mastery.  We will never solve the plagiarism problem as long as we keep
the rewards for plagiarizing so high.  Tama's suggestions are good ones, but we
need to go further in re-thinking how a student demonstrates understanding and
scholarship, not in thinking up more complex ways of detecting lack of it.
Research papers are good, but even better is the ability to retrieve needed
information on a given subject that would support one's thesis in a paper. Maybe
a good assignment would be to find 5 papers that you would like to plagiarize
and defend your choices...?

Judy Cossel Rice

Message: 11