[Air-l] copyright and new media scholarship (was turnitin issue)

Douglas Eyman eymand at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 9 08:53:42 PST 2007

Dan,

thanks for the background/clarification. I'm an editor of an online journal
(Kairos: Rhetoric, Technology, Pedagogy -- http://kairos.technorhetoric.net/,
and we are currently wrestling with how to articulate fair use for new media
scholarship. We get a lot of submissions that incorporate others' work in ways
that we think constitute fair use, but in the current (over) litigious climate,
we're trying to figure out how to balance protecting the journal and not
stifling innovative scholarship. So in a way, the question of turnitin.com as
one of intellectual property is one facet of trying to figure out how walk this
tightrope. Your comment about the Supreme Court's actions also helps us to think
through this (although it unfortunately weighs on the side that we shouldn't
support academic work that uses remixing or engages new media as sources of
quotation -- our status as a free (non-commercial) academic journal wouldn't
have much impact on a fair use ruling it seems).

I'm wondering if others on this list are wrestling with these issues, either as
editors, scholars who are creating new media scholarly texts, or
mentors/advisors to students who are interested in doing this kind of work. How
have you resolved the copyright/IP issues? How have you counseled colleagues and
students about it?

Doug