[Air-l] turnitin issue

Bonnie Nardi nardi at ics.uci.edu
Fri Mar 9 09:50:20 PST 2007

It seems likely that plagiarism will continue to increase. We are
moving toward a culture of reusable information: mashups, anamutations,
machinima, and the like. The ethos is one of reworking existing
materials.

These developments feel to me like a variation on the media
producer-consumer relationship we have been locked into for a long
time. The difference is that people reshape materials to a degree
instead of consuming perfectly passively. But someone still has to
produce the original materials. There are thus the creative producers
(a small number of people) and the larger group of scavenging consumers
if you think of this negatively, or bricoleurs if you think of it
positively.

The main form of plagiarism I have encountered is students reusing
their own work for more than one class. It's almost impossible to guard
against this. Sometimes they even ask if they can do this -- the
culture of reusability.

Now if someone can please write a paper on the evolution of departments
of Informatics that I can reuse I would be most grateful.

Bonnie A. Nardi
School of Information and Computer Sciences
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-3440
(949) 824-6534
www.artifex.org/~bonnie/