[Air-l] what is the turnitin copyright claim?

William Bain willronb at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 01:36:20 PST 2007

I was recently advised by an online publication that copyright is immediately generated on production of a work. According to my informant, doing the legal paperwork, etc. to secure a copyright is simply to prevent misunderstandings (to say the least) at some later date when someone else might use your work. I don't know how this applies to talks or presentations given at conferences, but it seems like an interesting though maybe complicated point. But this is my lay understanding and there seems to be pretty good evidence for its being true, since many physical publications at least note whether they or their authors keep copyright on publication.
  Best regards,
  Will

William Bain
PhD Student