[Air-l] SMS and cell phone research

Redante Asuncion-Reed redantereed at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 16:06:03 PDT 2007

Hello all

I am a graduate student in the American University School of Communications. I am doing my master's theses on the use of cell phones and sms messaging in activism, particularly in Africa by an NGO called FAHAMU.

The broad question I seek to explore is if the use of social media technology by social activist organizations have made them more effective in their work? FAHAMU's use of cell phones and sms activism will be my case study to narrow it down to manageable size.

I have a lot of Internet websites and a set of mass market books I will use:

Momentum by Allison Fine
Smart Mobs by Howard Rheingold
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

What I lack are scholarly and academic research to give me a theoretical framework to work with.I have been scanning Prof. Barry Wellman's web site and sense that some of his research on social networks and the Internet might be applicable but I can't identify a particular paper or book yet that is right for my research.

Can I ask the advice of the list members on what books, journal articles, and other scholarly sources might be helpful for my research?

Regards,
Redante