[Air-l] is this ethical?

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 15 20:44:32 PDT 2007

I have Google Alert set to identify anything online that mentions my name.
(I want to know who is talking about me and perhaps learn from their
comments.)

Recently, I have been disturbed because Google Alert keeps popping up
Blogspot entries that clearly come from class blog entries.

While I am happy that folks are reading my stuff, I am aghast that their
entries are on the web for all to read.  (Altho I smile that they say nice
things.)

I know that I don't post my students' term papers on the web [I only give
'em to Turnitin;-)], but this strikes me as an even greater invasion of
the students' privacy. Shouldn't such within-class stuff be password
protected?

I'm putting one innocuous example up below my .sig, but I've encountered
at least four others.

 Barry Wellman

  Barry Wellman   S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology   NetLab Director
        for fun: http://chass.utoronto.ca/oldnew/cybertimes.php

3) What was "Netville" in the suburbs of Toronto? Why's it important in
relation to the paradox argument?

This was written buy our good friend Barry wellman again ( jokes) . The
Netville in the suburbs was looking at the internet as a part of how it
structures the community life if it hinders and brings people closer
together within the community environment.

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman/publications/neighboring/neighboring_netville.pdf

It looks at how the internet is effecting community life whereby it is
leading people away from the enclosures of the community social life by
now engaging on the internet for their social activity or on the other
hand is this use of the internet bringing the community closer together as
a whole.

With relation to the paradox this is where the argument fell that the
influence of the internet has decreased the social interaction within the
community. This study looks at how the internet supports weaker ties
within the community helps mend bridges and bring the community closer
together but still looking it as a context rather than the paradox by
stating the negative side.