[Air-l] is this ethical?

Douglas Eyman eymand at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 15 22:31:04 PDT 2007

I can't speak to this particular use, but I will say that when I've had my
students use blogs to record and discuss the issues raised in our classes, I've
made sure that they understand that their words are public (part of the point of
class-based blogging) and that the authors they are responding to may in fact
read their responses.

Having said that, though, I did find that blogging as a practice is really not
successful unless internally motivated (so I've stopped doing it for my classes,
although we do read and discuss blog writing).

But in terms of ethics -- in what sense would this be unethical? If the
instructor asked students to blog without making sure they understood their
activities as public, I could see this as problematic (and pedagogically
unsound). If the instructor did explain that this is the case and asked students
to be cognizant of the relationship of their expression to the world outside the
classroom, then I would not see an ethical infringement here.

Plus, you could comment on their posts. ;)

Doug