[Air-l] is this ethical?

Deanya Lattimore mdlattim at syr.edu
Fri Mar 16 18:47:08 PDT 2007

I usually respond to students' writing before I allow them to post
these days.  One girl had given her parents' names and work schedules
(complaining that they were never home and that she had to babysit her
11-year-old sister until all hours of the night) on one of her
self-identified blog entries.

To Caroline's point, I also always allow students to keep their
personal posts offline, but few of them do, and when they do request
it, I ask them to write about why they don't want to post on the
internet.  Sometimes in the act of writing the reasons why they don't
want to post online, they learn some very important things about how TO
write online (as one girl who did this kept a personal journal on her
Facebook and MySpace without questioning her internet involvement).

And to Barry's original post, as a student, I blogged (before they
called it blogging) a response to a published article; the author's
students found my critique online and took it in to class for her to
see.  I maintain that my critique was accurate, but I did take the post
down when she went on the job market again later that year.

:-)
Deanya