[Air-l] social networking sites ranked by traffic [methods question]

Paul DiPerna pdiperna at blauexchange.org
Sun Mar 18 09:44:09 PDT 2007

For anyone interested in Web usage surveys and sampling/methods
procedures, I have a quick question..

  Do you see any particular methods "leader" among various website
traffic monitoring services?

The field that comes to mind consists of Hitwise (used in the O'Hear
blog post), comScore Media Metrix, Nielsen NetRatings, and Alexa.

My understanding is that comScore is generally the most valid and
reliable service.  I'm not a methodologist by any stretch of the
imagination, and so I'm be very interested to hear what people on our
list might say.

Here are some supporting URLs:

Hitwise:
http://www.hitwise.co.uk/products-services/how-we-do-it.php

comScore Media Metrix (I've used comScore stats for a previous
conference paper):
http://www.comscore.com/method/method.asp

Nielsen//NetRatings:
http://www.netratings.com/downloads/us/NetView_US.pdf

Alexa:
https://websearch.alexa.com/static.html?show=webtour/start

It would be interesting to see social network site rankings based on
international usage..  I suspect market shares for MySpace and Facebook
would decrease when compared to US-based stats, but I'm not sure by how
much.  Cyworld, Bebo, orkut, and even Friendster have had considerable
penetration outside the United States.

  - Paul

Paul DiPerna
Blau Exchange