[Air-l] naturally occurring conflicts?

Jennifer Stromer-Galley jstromer at albany.edu
Tue Mar 20 06:34:20 PDT 2007

I, too, am quite interested in this topic. I have not encountered much on the
topic of online disputes in chat rooms. Most of the work I've seen focuses on
dyadic interaction in conversation analysis.

I'm currently working on a manuscript analyzing disagreement in online spaces
(although not open chat rooms at the moment - but that's where I started). I
presented a paper a few moons ago at AoIR on a failed attempt to try to
analyze aspects of online, political chat, including disagreement. If that's
of interest, I can see if I can dig it up. I had used Searle's Speech Act
theory as a basis for developing a content analytic scheme (the counting
sort), and found it quite unsatisfying. I've since tabled that puzzle, but I
would quite like to hear more about what you're doing.

I'd also be eager to hear if others are looking at conflict online and what
they're finding.

Best,
~Jenny