[Air-l] questioning authority

Margie Borschke margieborschke at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 29 15:25:52 PDT 2007

On 30/03/2007, at 4:16 AM, air-l-request at listserv.aoir.org wrote:
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:31:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Robert Cannon <rcannon100 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Air-l] Origin of the term "Internet" ?

> Note, I do not really consider Wired an authority on
> this subject.  Wired is a pop magazine that writes
> teaser articles to get people to read ads.

Wired is a magazine that has long played an active role in exploring
and debating digital culture and if they make a style decision as
they did it's significant. It's a good gauge of the way the wind
blows. Plus, that piece was an explanation from the magazine's copy
chief about their copy department's decision to change their style--
if anything, you must concede that Wired is an authority on itself.
Magazines take copy and style questions seriously and I think its
admirable that they explained their decision and that they considered
such copy questions worthy of a "lifestyle" piece.

Further,  since the Internet is ultimately a 'pop' medium, I will
continue to consider what's happening in so-called pop magazines,
blogs etc. as relevant opinions and not wholly subservient to their
ad sales departments.