[Air-l] naturally occurring conflicts?

Andrew Whelan amj.whelan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 18:03:57 PDT 2007

Hi Jonna,
Like others I am a bit confused about the meaning of "naturally occurring".
My PhD thesis, entitled 'Coprolalia and Shibboleths', devotes a number of
chapters to chatroom disputation of the sort I think you would categorise as
'flaming', and I found Labov on ritual insult, and Bakhtinian accounts of
'carnivalesque' language quite useful. Do let me know if you'd like to see
the relevant chapters. I'd be very interested to hear of more recent
references on dispute and conflict in synchronous CMC.
Best,
Andrew