[Air-l] Wikipedia weakness

Marshall Poe marshallpoe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 14:24:50 PST 2007

This fraud brings up a larger issue for Wikipedia, namely, the role of
expertise. I assume that this fellow assumed the identity of a professor
because he thought it would bring increased influence in the community (or
with The New Yorker?). If it did, I would say that's a good sign. My past
experience is that most Wikipedians don't give much consideration to
credentials when they are brought into discussions.  This is too bad, as it
scares off experts who might well contribute but who want just what Rodney
Dangerfield wanted--a little respect.

I organized a "Wikipedia Project" on Russian history aimed (inter alia) at
engaging professors/experts (real ones, that is) in Wikipedia clean up.
See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Russian_History

I asked all the members to list their credentials. Most did, as you'll see.
I know many of them as I'm a Russian historian, but many of them I don't
know at all. Should I be vetting them? Is that an emerging community
activity?

Best, Marshall Poe